Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Abstract painting is for everyone*!




After the incredible paintings by Victoria Webb on my previous post, I've decided to continue the paint like fun and talk about er, paint, some more! I've been asked to paint (there it is!) some canvasses for my cute-as-a-button-but-less-plastic-like brand new niece and the walls of her room. Exciting yes. And also? Terrifying. I did an art major work at school, and have fun with multi-media creative bursts, but painting? This means it has to, you know, look like stuff.


Not so!


Enter abtractedness**!! Bravo for paintings that leave you free to imagine and feel the colours and textures for yourselves without the constraints of something that looks like something! Mine started off being sunshiny yellow with cute pink bumblebees fluttering about. Now, not so much. But it doesn't matter, right!?


ABSTRACTEDNESS!


"Everyone wants to understand art. Why don't we try to understand the song of a bird? Why do we love the night, the flowers, everything around us, without trying to understand them?" - Picasso
I love that art truly is in the eye of the beholder. Maybe my niece will actually see bumblebees! Hmm. We can always hope...


And yes. I am using Porter's wall paint for my canvasses. I like the colour. And it was free.


*This may be a lie
**I studied English also, yes, but in art true creativity is only hindered by such "rules" yes? Yes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments make my day. Seriously. It's a little pathetic... xx